Skip to main content

Summer!

I did mention that I wouldn't be a regular blog poster, right? 

I'm finally coming up for breaths from my months of working one and a half jobs.  It's amazing how much time 60 hours a week of working sucks from you. 

One of my summer resolutions is to ramp up blog posts (let's see if that works out).

I've been a little obsessed lately with Pinterest (www.pinterest.com if you are totally out of the loop).  I've been 'pinning' lots of recipes that I want to try, and have vowed that even in the 90 + degree heat of the North Carolina summer, I will do so.

The other inspiration I've had lately is that the Durham Farmers' Market (http://www.durhamfarmersmarket.com/).is in full swing, and I've already managed to make it there twice this season.  Being surrounded by that much fresh produce, homegrown meat, hand made cheeses ... yeah it's hard NOT to be inspired.

This weekend I plan on whipping up some baked goods with freshly picked blueberries and hopefully some farm fresh eggs.  I will take pictures.  I also think that I'm going to do some slow cooker cooking (who says the slow cooker is only for the colder months??)

My vow, measure ingredients, take pictures, post!!!

As always, I'm open to suggestions for recipes/tips/questions that any of my readers have.  Interaction is good (it keeps me accountable).

Bring on the summer!!!

(please note, today's high was only supposed to be 91 and currently it is 92 degrees)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Crust -- A Worthy Opponent

I have issues with pie crust.  I can make an okay crust, but I always strive for a crust that's more than just okay.  Thanksgiving is the time of year where I put my crust skills to the test. I won't lie, I get a little nervous every year at Thanksgiving.  I mean, being responsible for dessert for a dozen people is a big responsibility! Every year I try a little something different with my crust, striving to come up with that perfectly flaky crust that makes people wanting to go back for more. I THINK I might have found it this year.  I think I ran across the concept on Pinterest , and although I didn't pin that recipe, it got me thinking about it.  Sour cream pie crust.  It was intriguing... would it work?  Would I like the result? I had the ingredients, so I tried it (with slight modification).  Here's the recipe from food.com.  My modified recipe is below: Sour Cream Pie Crust (supposedly will make enough for 1 9in pie, but I think it might yield more)

Quick Alfredo

Sometimes, it's hard to get to the grocery store.  I'm just going to put that out there.  Recently, I found myself in the situation where I had a box of pasta in the cupboard and a stick of butter in the fridge (along with a few unidentifiable items in plastic containers, but as a pseudo-chef, I should likely not admit to having such things in my home). As I was reaching for the butter, I noticed that I had a bit of whipping cream, and a shaker can of Parmesan cheese (don't judge).  After smelling the cream to make sure it was alright (it was on the verge, I kid you not, of being ready for the trash), I made a down and dirty version of Alfredo sauce. Surprisingly it came out really well.  I have a bad habit of not measuring ... with this, just taste as you go and all will be well.  I'm giving ingredients and approximate measurements. Down and Dirty Alfredo   1 cup whipping cream (I'm certain that half and half or milk will work just fine) 1 Tbsp. butter 1/

The Sugar Cookie Promise

Somehow around the office I’ve become known for my baked goods. Pre-culinary school, I was hard pressed to even get a boxed cake right. I hated measuring, which is why I always liked to cook, it’s very forgiving when measurements are off. Baking, not so much. So being known as a baking guru, I was asked by a coworker/friend if I could make cupcakes for his band’s CD release party. Talking it through with him, we came up with the plan of doing cookies instead. This posed two challenges for me. 1) I had the genius idea that the cookies I made should be very specific to his band, i.e. I wanted to custom make a cookie cutter. 2) I had to make sugar cookies. I’m not a fan of making sugar cookies, or any rolled cookies for that matter, I blame this on the one square foot of usable counter space I have in my kitchen. Challenge 1: The design of the cutter wasn’t the challenge. Easy, an N and an E connecting (Band name: North Elementary) with half a person popping out of the top