Skip to main content

Cookie butter




Have you ever had one of those days that you just shouldn't be in the kitchen?  Like the kitchen Gods are just telling you to go and get some take out?  Yeah, that was me tonight.

All I wanted to do was make something to share with a friend who just had a baby.  A nice little casserole, a salad to balance out the carbs, and some baked goods. The plan started out fine. 

I prepared a quinoa mac and cheese (which, if I remember to take pictures and mark up the changes I made to the original recipe, I might share on here).  I have it ready to go into the oven tomorrow and will take it to her family on Thursday.  CHECK.

Salad... well, I bought some bagged salad, and will make a quick Vinaigrette tomorrow, probably while the quinoa is baking.  CHECK

Baked goods.  Well, I'm a little strapped for time, and I wasn't looking to do anything fancy, so broke out the old stand by - Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies.  I can make these in my sleep, or so I thought.  This is where all hell broke loose.

I made my dough, it looked great.  First problem.  I couldn't find my cookie scoop.  Well, I can get by without that.  I took that as a sign to shake things up, maybe make some nice big cookies.  So, I did... or tried.

After about 10 minutes in the oven, I took a peek... it was NOT a pretty sight.  Dark edges, raw middle.  What the what?!?! 

Okay, so maybe I shouldn't have tried big cookies.  After a little more searching, I found my cookie scoop.  Take two.

Again, about 10 minutes into the baking process, I peeked my head in the oven.  Same thing... dark edges, raw center.

At this point (yes, it took me until this point) I realized that something had gone terribly wrong.  It wasn't the oven temp... the only thing I could think was that I didn't add enough flour to the dough (I did halve the recipe, and eyeballed it)... but this was beyond just missing out on a little flour.  This was an EPIC fail people!!



I haven't had a fail in the kitchen like this, since the brownie soup incident in high school (that was the night that taught me to never bake after 11 pm).

So, to try and salvage the last half dozen cookies, I added some more flour to the dough, and stuck the last 6 cookies in the oven (this didn't end up working either, in case you were wondering).

Now, I have 2 dozen, tasty yet not very cookie like cookies.  I didn't want to throw them out, so I took the mass of cookie bits and piled them into a bowl and started plotting. 


2 dozen failed cookies ... piled into a bowl.
Just today, I had stood in Trader Joe's, pondering whether or not I wanted to buy some of their cookie butter.  I did want to, I really did.  But, I walked away... I knew I couldn't be trusted with a jar of something called cookie butter!!

So, thinking back to that, I did what anybody would, and googled up 'chocolate chip cookie butter'.  I didn't find anything, but I did find a bunch of recipes for cookie butter made with Speculoos cookies.  Taking the idea behind that, I went ahead and made some chocolate chip cookie butter.

I don't have an exact recipe for you, but can give you an idea of what I did.  Someday, I might recreate it, and give an actual recipe.  I will test the product out on my guinnea pigs at work first :)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter

1/2 recipe of EPIC failure Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies (try making the recipe, with just a little less flour, see if you can produce the epic failure...)**

Vegetable Oil (1/4 cup?)

Water (to thin out)

Cinnamon, just for some flavor

Vanilla (why not?)

Process everything in the food proccessor, until creamy.  You may have to adjust the amount of oil and/or water you use (I did find that when my butter sat for awhile, a lovely puddle of oil showed up on the top of the butter... again, when I do try to recreate the recipe, I'll see if I can fix that).

** I'm sure you can also do this with perfectly made cookies, but why would you grind up a perfectly nice cookie??

I'm wondering if the kitchen Gods were just trying to push me to write a blog post, and just nudged me with this cookie fail?

Comments

  1. I have never heard of cookie butter... how wise of you to walk away from it, sounds terribly dangerous!!!! So, what does one do with cookie butter?

    btw... did you remember to add the eggs to the cookie mix? Maybe that was the problem??? Just trying to help you problem solve :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pie Crust -- A Worthy Opponent

I have issues with pie crust.  I can make an okay crust, but I always strive for a crust that's more than just okay.  Thanksgiving is the time of year where I put my crust skills to the test. I won't lie, I get a little nervous every year at Thanksgiving.  I mean, being responsible for dessert for a dozen people is a big responsibility! Every year I try a little something different with my crust, striving to come up with that perfectly flaky crust that makes people wanting to go back for more. I THINK I might have found it this year.  I think I ran across the concept on Pinterest , and although I didn't pin that recipe, it got me thinking about it.  Sour cream pie crust.  It was intriguing... would it work?  Would I like the result? I had the ingredients, so I tried it (with slight modification).  Here's the recipe from food.com.  My modified recipe is below: Sour Cream Pie Crust (supposedly will make enough for 1 9in pie, but I think it might yield more)

Quick Alfredo

Sometimes, it's hard to get to the grocery store.  I'm just going to put that out there.  Recently, I found myself in the situation where I had a box of pasta in the cupboard and a stick of butter in the fridge (along with a few unidentifiable items in plastic containers, but as a pseudo-chef, I should likely not admit to having such things in my home). As I was reaching for the butter, I noticed that I had a bit of whipping cream, and a shaker can of Parmesan cheese (don't judge).  After smelling the cream to make sure it was alright (it was on the verge, I kid you not, of being ready for the trash), I made a down and dirty version of Alfredo sauce. Surprisingly it came out really well.  I have a bad habit of not measuring ... with this, just taste as you go and all will be well.  I'm giving ingredients and approximate measurements. Down and Dirty Alfredo   1 cup whipping cream (I'm certain that half and half or milk will work just fine) 1 Tbsp. butter 1/

The Sugar Cookie Promise

Somehow around the office I’ve become known for my baked goods. Pre-culinary school, I was hard pressed to even get a boxed cake right. I hated measuring, which is why I always liked to cook, it’s very forgiving when measurements are off. Baking, not so much. So being known as a baking guru, I was asked by a coworker/friend if I could make cupcakes for his band’s CD release party. Talking it through with him, we came up with the plan of doing cookies instead. This posed two challenges for me. 1) I had the genius idea that the cookies I made should be very specific to his band, i.e. I wanted to custom make a cookie cutter. 2) I had to make sugar cookies. I’m not a fan of making sugar cookies, or any rolled cookies for that matter, I blame this on the one square foot of usable counter space I have in my kitchen. Challenge 1: The design of the cutter wasn’t the challenge. Easy, an N and an E connecting (Band name: North Elementary) with half a person popping out of the top